Nachricht
Autor
dividedbymyself
Mikrocruncher
Mikrocruncher

Long Wu's

#1 Ungelesener Beitrag von dividedbymyself » 02.09.2010 11:50

Hi,
I'm currently crunching some very long RNA Wu's. One of them seems to be validated already for some of the wingmen. At the moment I've got about 33 hours left to go. Is is useful to continue this one or should I better abort not to loose more time than than I already did?

Also there's no checkpointing. This doesn't matter for Wu's of a couple of hours max, but when they take days it's a different story. Wouldn't it possible to implement checkpointing in the near future?

Thanks for any advice,
Bart

Torbjörn Klatt
Vereinsmitglied
Vereinsmitglied
Re: Long Wu's

#2 Ungelesener Beitrag von Torbjörn Klatt » 02.09.2010 11:58

Concerning you request for checkpointing:
You are not the first, who requested it. :wink: We are working on a solution for the checkpointing, but unfortunately we are using algorithms, which have been designed for high performance clusters. Therefore there was no need for implementing checkpointing.

During the BOINC Workshop we had some nice discussions about using a method with virtual machines. There are some really nice approaches, we could use.

But honestly, our main problem is a huge lack of man power to finally do the coding and development. The methods, algorithms and source code is there. It just have to be put together. :wink:

Cheers,
Torbjoern
alias Bohne2k7
bevorzugte Projekte: WCG, RNA World, Yoyo
Profil (RKN-Wiki) | www: torbjoern-klatt.de | Twitter: @torbjoernklatt | Diaspora*: torbjoernk@diasp.de
Bild

mxplm
Vereinsmitglied
Vereinsmitglied

#3 Ungelesener Beitrag von mxplm » 02.09.2010 12:01

Hey,

since the WU is already validated, you can abort it on your host. As Torbjörn said, checkpointing is one of our great issues which we try to solve. As a temporary solution for the missing checkpoints, I'd suggest using standby and hibernation to save your progress. I do that on my machines and it works. A nice side-effect is that boottime is faster ;)
:Wiki-Benutzerseite: (Über mich)
:fold.it: (Helfen durch Zocken)

Torbjörn Klatt
Vereinsmitglied
Vereinsmitglied

#4 Ungelesener Beitrag von Torbjörn Klatt » 02.09.2010 12:04

I just realized, that this thread has been sneaked into the wrong board. It's dealing with RNA World and not Yoyo@home.

@mods: You know :wink:
alias Bohne2k7
bevorzugte Projekte: WCG, RNA World, Yoyo
Profil (RKN-Wiki) | www: torbjoern-klatt.de | Twitter: @torbjoernklatt | Diaspora*: torbjoernk@diasp.de
Bild

Patrick Keller
Vereinsmitglied
Vereinsmitglied

#5 Ungelesener Beitrag von Patrick Keller » 02.09.2010 12:23

I know :)

dividedbymyself
Mikrocruncher
Mikrocruncher

#6 Ungelesener Beitrag von dividedbymyself » 02.09.2010 12:29

Thanks guys, it's aborted. And about the checkpointing, we'll have to wait then. Hopefully there will not be too many of these large Wu's.
And about the sneaking in the wrong forum, I just posted in the first "number crunching" board could find :roll2: I'll be more careful next time.

Bart

Antworten

Zurück zu „RNA World Discussions (english)“